Choose the best local storage facilityWhile the monthly rate is an important factor in choosing a storage facility, there are other key factors to consider.
- Superior customer service
- Reputation in the community
- Pride in property (clean & well-lit)
- Wide aisles and driveways
- Perimeter fencing & code access
- Security - cameras & alarms
- Clean restroom(s)
- Onsite management
Choose the right storage unit size
Rule of thumb: The size of the unit depends on how often you'll need to access your unit. If you plan to visit your unit more than once every couple months, then it's recommended that you rent a slightly larger unit. This will allow for an aisle or two inside the unit, which will make things more accessible to you without having to move things around. If you plan on more infrequent visits, then going with a smaller unit and tightly arranging your items would be best.
Try our unit size calculator.
Storage starts at home
When organizing your items for storage, here's a few tips to keep your moving and self storage experience smooth and easy:
- Use the same size boxes or containers for ease of stacking.
- Use strong tape for the bottom of boxes. Double layer for heavier boxes.
- Store heavy items and boxes on bottom, lighter on top.
- Clearly label all boxes on top and sides.
- Color code your boxes to match the rooms of your house.
- Use unprinted newsprint to cushion glasses and dishware.
- Use a handtruck to move more than one box at a time.
- Use wardrobe boxes for clothing and store shoes and delicate items in the bottom.
Best tips for packing your storage unit
- Use a heavy lock. A disc lock is required here at El Monte Storage.
- Place smaller and more expensive items (computer, tv, glassware) in the rear of the unit and large items (sofa, washer/dryer) at the front.
- Put furniture and cardboard boxes on top of pallets or tarp to protect from the changing temperature of the concrete floor.
- As a precaution, use rodent bait, such as De-Con in a corner or two, or in the front and back of the unit.
- Do not store perishable items (any sort of non-canned food items.)
- Cover furniture and valuables with plastic to protect against dust and condensation.
- Be sure to move the door-lock clasp all the way over and locking up your unit before leaving the facility.
- Keep the office informed of your current address and telephone number.